Should I get a Homebuyer Report or Building Survey?

Deciding whether or not you should get a Homebuyer Report (also known as a Home Condition Survey) or Building Survey is not always a straight forward decision. This video is produced by the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and simply explains which property types each survey is suited to.

You need to choose the right type of survey for the property for it to be beneficial to you. If you get a Homebuyer Report for a complex property you won’t get the level of detail in the report that allows you to make a truly informed decision and it won’t be money well spent.

Level 1 Condition Report – suitable for fairly new, conventional and straightforward properties.

Level 2 Homebuyer Report or Home Condition Survey – suitable for relatively new (50 – 80 years old), fairly standard properties that may need some attention

Level 3 Building Survey – suitable for big, old, complicated, or listed properties as well as those in need of renovation.

The links above provide a more detailed breakdown of what you can expect from each home survey.

It is worth remembering that the higher the level of survey you have carried out, the greater the level of detail you will get both in terms of listing smaller as well as bigger issues found and in terms of understanding the cause of a problem and the solution, not just that it exists.